Thursday, July 28, 2011

Diy bins and mud room "lockers!"

So our new house has an awesome mud/laundry room.  Right away, we realized we needed some sort of organized set up for shoes, backpacks and jackets.  You can see why:
So due to our thrifty do it ourselves mentality, we decided to design something and build it ourselves!  Here's what we came up with:
Thanks to Jay's wood building talent and my staining wood talent (k- staining's not really a talent.....) we now have 8 hooks and four cubbies for all that mud room stuff!  Where did we get those bins that fit just perfect?  We made those too : )  Bins are expensive so here's what we came up with for bins:
Costco wipes box-I just had to cut the top and it fit perfectly
Then I covered it with shelf liner contact paper so the blue wouldn't show through
Next, I busted out the ever dependable Mod Podge (mine is from KD craft from like 12 years ago; apparently it will last forever!)  I just cut some burlap to size and wrapped and glued until the box was covered.

Then I added some knobs we had laying around that came as extra's for a dresser.  They were white, so I just painted them a dark brown to match the stain of the wood and hot glued them to the center.  Cheap, functional, and cute!  I think I will use this bin making idea all over the house, just cover boxes with fabric or even just the shelf liner.  Endless possibilities!

Yay!  It's working like a dream!

2 comments :

  1. So glad you have a blog... you are the most innovative person EVER! Please blog everything you do so that I can get some ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to be crafty like you. You have the most creative ideas and voila you've made it! Impressive!!

    ReplyDelete